Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Happy New Year a few days late!

Welcome to 2021 friends! Confession: I'm a very lazy blogger. I've viewed many of your blogs and have spent a lot of time on Instagram at vikkispapertrailetc the past couple of months as it is easier to post. The mail carriers have been kind to me with new products and new supplies of ink and glue to reinforce my stash.  Next week marks the end of our first year in Portland. We're grateful to live in a walking neighborhood after 40 years on a rural hilltop. It has made the difference in my outlook in this quarantine life. As a natural introvert it has been important to see people daily walking to and fro living the best they can in these circumstances.

I alluded to new items and the two cards in this post feature one of them, the Altenew Hanging Garden dies. My cards use the positive and negative parts of the die in an inlay technique with the additional touch of red to brighten the neutral gray and white. The Color Hues Jan. 1-14 challenge to use gray and red determined the colors of my paper and ink. The two grays vary in their cool and warm tones but work together, I think.

Card #1

Card #1 begins with a side folding PTI Weathervane gray card stock splattered with white. Textured gray woodgrain paper and a white panel were each die cut with the larger die. The positive parts of this process were inlayed in the opposite negative panel. The berry portion of the die was cut twice from red linen paper. The encouraging red sentiment is from a PFS Partial Cut Floral Frame set from 2019's SS Stamptember. A thin red strip on the left finishes the triangle of red areas on the card.
 
Card #2 

My second card uses a PTI soft stone card front and the gray woodgrain panel finished with the largest SSS stitched rectangle. A PTI Enclosed: Wreath's sentiment, Peace, die cut in red and embellished with Wink of Stella clear finishes this one. The texture is so pretty. Christmas card #1 done for the year. I almost wished that it was turned horizontally with the sentiment in another corner.



Both cards are linked to three challenges: 

Thanks for your visit and again, Happy New Year! 

9 comments:

  1. Okay, you knew I couldn't wait... your tease of grey reeled me in!!
    Vikki, they are both stunning - grey in virtually any shade brings me to my knees! Add red, and POW! Absolute perfection! They BOTH win, in my view!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are two beautiful cards! Love the mix of greys with the pops of red. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said on IG--absolutely love both of these, Vikki! The color combo is wonderful & I love both designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous Vikki! I love the pops of red and the elegance! Thanks for playing along with us at Color Hues and I hope you have a very creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echoing the others: two gorgeous cards using your new products and the red+grey combination! Thank you for joining us at Color Hues!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both cards are fabulous! I can't choose between them. The inlaid leaves are so elegant, but I also love the gray on the white. It's always wonderful to see you at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great twofer you've created from the negative and positive die cuts, Vikki! I love the colors you used and your design! And I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your new location! Thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Take care and keep safe! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cards...It's great when we can make 2 cards at once!...Love puzzles so using the pieces from one card for another one is the most fun!..and the little bit of red really made this POP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous die and the way you have used it is delightful x

    ReplyDelete